The CARELIA GRILL® is a durable, high-quality open fireplace manufactured in North Karelia in Finland. Using the fireplace is safe and easy and you can enjoy the warmth and ambiance created by it without worry. Nevertheless, all national, regional, and local rules and regulations must be adhered to regarding the installation and use of the fireplace and the fuel used. To ensure the safety and functionality of the fireplace, always follow the instructions of the manual, unless otherwise required to by the previously mentioned regulations.
ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO THE GENERAL FIRE SAFETY REGULATIONS!
• Never start a fire in the fireplace using gasoline or other similarly unsuitable substances.
• Store lighter fluids, fire starters, and other related paraphernalia away from children.
• Never leave children unsupervised by the fireplace.
• Do not store combustible materials or fluids in the immediate vicinity of the base of the fireplace.
• When handling hot grilling surfaces, use the wooden handles or use heat-resistant protective gloves.
• The base of the fireplace, the frame of the ash pan, and the removable ash pan may become extremely hot during use. Do not touch the unprotected parts of the fireplace without heat-resistant protective gloves.
• Ensure that the fireplace is safely fixed to its foundation and never lean on the fireplace or the hood.
• The fireplace is not intended to be used for burning trash. Never use the fireplace to burn disposable dinnerware, plastic, cardboard, and other such materials that may cause burning flakes to be spread in the surrounding area.
• Preferably, use wood types that do not produce sparking or spitting in the fireplace such as birch or alder. Coal and briquettes may also be used.
• Always maintain a moderate fire. The maximum height of the flames must not exceed the halfway point between the fireplace and the hood. A fire that is too large or hot may cause damage to the fireplace and its surrounding area.
• Keep the necessary extinguishing equipment close to where the fireplace is used and advise users on the correct procedure in case of an emergency.
• Do not begin to use the fireplace for food preparation until the surface of the fireplace is burned and any smoky smells which may have been produced during first use have dissipated.
Never leave the fireplace unsupervised during use and always be careful when using the fireplace.
The necessary fresh air ventilation in enclosed buildings
Fresh air ventilation is one of the most essential factors in successful smoke exhaust in enclosed buildings to ensure that the space is comfortable and nearly smoke-free. The amount of fresh make-up air must be at least equal to the amount of air removed with the smoke. Burning a fire in an enclosed hut or gazebo creates an air deficit and if the amount of make-up air is insufficient, the smoke will not be removed through the chimney because lift is not being created and the exhaust flow rate of the air decreases. To ensure good smoke-free indoor air requires a chimney with a diameter of 30 cm and sufficient make-up air to replace the exhaust air.
The best way to solve the issue of fresh make-up air required by an open fire and the correct flow is to build a radially framed floor which is left open below the floorboards. A hole with an approximate diameter of 30 cm is made directly under the fireplace from which the airflow rises directly into the grate, thus ensuring effective and controlled steady flow into the fireplace. During burning, the flow increases creating the upward draft required for clean burning. Another effective way is to embed make-up air tubes into the building’s foundation or concrete pour. The diameter of the tubes should be at least 100-150 mm and there should be a minimum of three tubes pointing in different directions. To ensure an effective draft the tubes should be positioned to rise towards the fireplace as horizontal tubes will not create a proper airflow.
Installing the chimneys
1. The roof of the building must have a hole with an approximate diameter of 38 cm for the feed-through. Lift the assembled fireplace with its hood under the chimney hole (Ø ~ 380 mm) in the roof.
2. Tighten the larger collar, i.e. the supporting collar to the groove at the top of the feed-through sleeve. The clamp is passed through the clamp hole in the collar, tightened properly and locked into place by turning it back over the clamp hole so that the collar cannot loosen.
3. Pass the feed-through from above the roof to hang by the collar.
4. Lower the chimneys from the roof and attach them to each other and the hood so that the straight end of the chimney is on top of the reduction. The weight of the chimney is sufficient to keep it in place. The holes at the end of the lower chimney are covered inside the upper chimney. The holes visible at the top are used to fasten the rain cover.
5. Fasten the rain cover to the chimney with screws.
6. Install the smaller collar, i.e. the rain collar, on the top of the sheet metal panels coming over the top of the feed-through. The rain collar is used to prevent rain water from flowing between the chimney and the feed-through.
7. Carefully seal the joint between the rain collar and the chimney with weather, UV radiation, and heat resistant silicone sealant or insulator.
During the installation of a fireplace into a hut or a grill house, it is vitally important to follow the fire regulations. Included below are some issues that should be considered:
• The feed-through sleeve must reach a minimum of 300 mm down from the nearest combustible roof material and correspondingly, there must be a minimum of 100 mm of clearance above.
• The length of the chimney is dependent on the steepness of the roof and the ridge height, but the end of the chimney must be located at least 80 cm from the nearest combustible roof material.
• A non-insulated, single feed-through sleeve can only be used in non-insulated buildings or buildings without a flat roof. If you are installing the fireplace into a building with heat insulation or a flat roof, you will require a custom-made fire insulated feed-through. Fire insulated feed-through is available to be purchased separately.
• Fire regulations also require that there is a non-combustible foundation, i.e. concrete pour, paving or a cover panel, under the fireplace extending to 500 mm outside of its edges. Floor panels are available to be purchased separately.
• Please pay special attention to safety when handling fire indoors!
When the fireplace has cooled down after use, clean the fireplace from residue. The fireplace must be cold before cleaning. Keep in mind that hot embers may remain within the ash for up to 24 hours from burning. The ash pan should be emptied regularly so that the ash does not prevent the flow of make-up air into the fireplace. The ash should be taken out to an ash container made from non-combustible material. The ash pan is emptied only after the ashes have cooled down. Wood ashes are environmentally friendly and can be used as soil improver. Do not place the ashes into a compost. The ashes may also be used as a fertilizer.
When necessary and especially for storage, the fire surfaces of the fire place may be oiled using cooking oil to protect the surfaces from corrosion. Do not use chemicals or other unsuitable materials to protect the surfaces.
The manufacturer provides a limited warranty for work and materials regarding the CARELIA GRILL fireplace with the following conditions:
• The period of warranty is two years (24 months) from the date of purchase.
• The warranty is provided on the condition that the place and date of purchase have been reliably identified.
• The warranty covers work and material defects noticed during the warranty period.
THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
Damages caused by user error, carelessness, insufficient maintenance or other external factors. Transport or travel costs or other indirect costs.
THE PROCEDURE IN THE EVENT OF LACK OF CONFORMITY
The manufacturer will repair the product to the condition preceding the defect. Repair under warranty does not extend the warranty period of the product or the subject of the repairs.
Carelia Grill® is an excellent choice if you enjoy the outdoors, cooking, and spending time with your friends and family.
All of our products are handmade and manufactured with respect towards the environment and our customers. Our products meet the highest quality standards, are easy to use and guaranteed to have been manufactured in Finland.
Take a look at our range of products and bring a piece of true Karelian identity to your home or summer house.
– Enjoy the lifestyle